Cone -Ice cream Art

Since this is my first solo activity at the center, it holds great significance. I was a little anxious at first about what to do and how to do it, but then it dawned on me: what if I asked the kids to paint an ice cream cone? This semester, my instructional narrative focus is more on imagination. Additionally, I had an idea about how the kids would use their imaginations once I gave them the materials; this is more of a directed exercise, and I want to examine how the guided and unguided activities differ.

The art activities are typically completed after naps. I prepared the table for activities during nap time. The first people up were O and R. They were excited to begin the activity and I could sense it in them when they saw the table full of paper and color paints. I decided to start the art with them, so I gave them the papers and instructed them to paint and adhere the cone paper to the white paper. “O” gets the idea right away and decides to make an ice cream cone.

O: I want to make blueberry ice cream.

O: I want to add some toppings. And this is for Mom and Dad.

“O” stuck the cone paper and colored his ice cream using sponges.

“R” has no idea of what to do after pasting the cone in the paper she said she is also making ice- cream.

However, her painting style differs from O’s, who selected every color and painted the entire paper as well as the cone. Her cone was concealed behind her paintings once she had finished them.

T, M, and A all come up with ideas for ice cream, and even with the suggested theme, everyone’s ideas for painting and creating art are unique. Some are more precise, while others use all the colors and paint the entire piece of paper. The thing that most appeals to me about the activity is how curiosity now outweighs imagination. They are more excited to use various paints and using them to play is more enjoyable than using their imaginations. Seeing various colors on the table and with papers when they wake up from their nap piques their curiosity about using it instead of their imagination or creativity.

The complexity of doing this activity is that some children don’t find any interest in painting, and they are more interested in free play rather than table activities. Two of my children didn’t want to do the activity and went for free play and I also didn’t force them to do it.