Wooden See-Saw

While the center was having its outside activity period, I was meandering around and keeping an eye out for kids. Abruptly, I became aware of an intriguing activity taking place with my kids next to the sliding section. I had already noticed a portion of the wooden construction near the slider, lying on the ground. It didn’t bother me. Pres and Ben were playing with mud and an aluminum container on the other side of the ground. After a while, I saw that Pres and Ben were attempting to create something new. I noticed that they were pushing and tugging at the big wooden structure and the pot lay close to it.  As my curiosity increases. I just stand there and silently watch them since I don’t want to ask questions or do anything else to bother them. I was taken aback when they positioned the pot beneath the framework, turned it into a See-Saw, and started it to oscillate.

I could see the connection and interconnection between the two young guys and the wood structure. I observed teamwork in them; they were not arguing with each other. What amazed me was how well-coordinated they were. I also wonder how they determine that the pot’s height is more than the structure’s height above the ground is beyond me. Maybe using the trial-and-error approach. One or two additional kids eventually join in to assist with their creativity. What matters most to me is the use of limited resources to come up with a new idea.

Karolyn’s Notes Apr 8, 2024

As we discussed there is more you can do here -or with any of the interesting starting observations you made- We talked in class the week after this observation that you can revisit this with children and find other ways for them to engage with explorations such as creative use of materials, imaginative play, planning and building, etc. You can continue your documentation here with our conversation about how you tried to revisit this with the children. Even if you feel it wasn’t successful reflecting on the process would be helpful for Brooklyn and I to see your thinking and ideas take shape here. Please note you need to share your wordpress with Brooklyn so she knows how your documentation is going.

Also, The only documentation that is visible from your face page is the ice cream cone one. You need to move or make the other documentation visible. I almost didn’t see any of this work.