ECED 2200

Week 1

During my first week at my new practicum center, I learned about the organization’s policies and met the children. I chose to focus on building relationships during this week because I believe it is crucial for the well-being and learning of both the children and me as a student entering the field of education. According to the BCELF principles, “Relationships are the context for well-being and learning,” and Principle 5 emphasizes the importance of connecting to land, culture, community, and place. Building connections and relationships with the children, the center, the land, and other members is a significant aspect of my practicum experience in early childhood education. As part of building these connections, I decided to read a storybook to the children during nap time, and we explored “The Earthworm Book” and “Halloween” together. We also engaged in play to get to know each other better. Additionally, I had the opportunity to connect with other educators and students in the practicum to familiarize ourselves with the environment.

Week 2

This semester, I plan to engage closely with children and listen to their thoughts while taking notes of what they say during my Pedagogical narration. I have documented numerous instances and observed various explorations happening on the slide, with wooden blocks, and with earthworms, as well as in the mud with beans in the garden. Additionally, I have captured some photos of their explorations.

The slider

The explored with the sliders in various ways, sliding through them, used mud and rocks. At one point, they even brought chairs to slide on, but the educators intervened and stopped them from continuing with the chairs due to safety concerns. They explored the slider by running, jumping, and using different body movements. According to the BCELF, environments play a crucial role in well-being and learning, and play is essential for both well-being and learning.

The wooden Blocks

The children were engaged in play with wooden blocks. They were focused on constructing with the blocks and I could see them collaborating and working together. They assisted each other in carrying the blocks. Various types of play were taking place in this area of the playground. This situation brought to mind BCELF principle 5, which emphasizes the importance of people forming connections and reconnections with the land, culture, community, and place. As I observed them, it was evident that they were forming connections with each other and with the wooden material, representing the environment. Principle 8 highlights that relationships are essential for well-being and learning. The children were learning about the significance of teamwork, helping one another, and sharing the available space.

At another point, I noticed Revan attempting to create something with the wooden blocks, and as I engaged with him, I realized that he was building a campfire.

Resmi: What are you making

Revan: This is a campfire

Revan: This one is not heavy

This one is small

Log

The children had fun exploring the log in the yard, laughing and teasing each other as they played. They pretended to drive a car, engaging in different pretend play. According to the BCELF principle, play is essential for both well-being and learning. Pretend play plays a vital role in well-being and learning as children interact with objects and other children, creating stories and gaining meaningful experiences from the world around them.